The first mentioning of Molodechno was made in the duke Dmitri’s letter to Grand Duke Yagalo in 1383.
It woas a part of Vilna province since 1413. During XIV-XVIII centuries a castle was built for the defence of the town. During this period of time the castle was owned by the Zaslavskis, the Mstislavskis, the Sangushkas, the Ragozes, Radzivills, Oginskis, Tyshkeviches. At the end of the 17th century the castle became the property of magnate Oginski and turned from a fortified wooden fortress into a palace with a park and a greenhouse, a picture gallery and a library with ancient manuscripts.
During the Middle Ages important events took place in Molodechno. Negotiations between the diplomats of Poland and The Grand Duchy of Lithuania were held here in 1567 and resulted in the creation of
As the result of divisions of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Molodechno was joined to Russia.
Napoleon stayed in the residence of Oginski during his retreat from Moscow. Here he wrote his last letter to Paris explaining the reasons of his defeat. Michael Kutuzov, the
In 1814 the Molodechno castle was owned by Michael Kleofas Oginski – the prominent composer, the author of the famous
The town rapidly developed in 1970-1980s. Along the major transport artery which is the part of Starovilenski Trakt appeared the street , known as Vyaliki Gastinets lined with significant town buildings.